Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Captain has Returned!

So it has been a few days since I last shared any steampunk wonders with you, and for that I am sincerely sorry, but I do have a good reason. You see, Cinco de Mayo is a very special holiday in the good captain's heart for something other than the defeat of the French army by the Mexican general Ignacio Zaragoza Seguin in 1862 at Puebla. It was on this day, not too long after the events for which the day is generally recognized, that commemorates the birth of our beloved Captain Renquist von Riek!

Yes my friends and loyal crew, the fifth of May is my birthday! And while I may be famous in some circles for my near superhuman ability to idle leisurely about, I assure you I'm no layabout on my birthday. It was a nearly weeklong celebration of all things captain, which as you can surely imagine meant quite a bit of work and certainly a healthy dose of adventure!

Interesting Trivia Did you Know - The "Most Interesting Man in the World" advertising campaign by Dos Equis beer is based upon the good captain and his amazing adventures. It's true!

For the last few days some faithful companions and I have been driving across the very heart of the new world in my new carriage, gifted to me by a lovely lady admirer. I have no doubt that upon seeing said carriage you will fully appreciate the need for a road trip, especially in light of the occasion! The engine actually hides beneath the carriage and the gyroscopic stabilizers ensure that you will not flip over when trying to corner at unsafe speeds, which we tested extensively at extremely unsafe speeds!


Ultimately the destination we were heading for was to witness a large scale wonder, the Corliss Steam Engine, in it's full glory! This engine weighs in at 700 tons, 1400-1600 horse power, and generates enough energy to power all the exhibits at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876 which means it could provide nearly a full half of the power required at my workshop.


Truly a thing of beauty is it not? The good captain holds a deep appreciation for any engine of such a size that several dozen fine gentlemen can stand upon it at a single time. Much more impressive than those engines that can only hold one fine gentlemen at a time, am I not right! Ha Ha good chaps, indeed!

Well, sadly I must go nurse a traveling companion I've not seen for a very long time, a hangover. Usually we only get together for Easter, but a four day road trip to see one of the largest steam engines necessarily requires a simply gratuitous amount of spirits. While I tend to that, you should be tending your workload, now back to those gears!

No comments: