Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Steampunk Instruments of the Musical Variety

Once again adventuring through the æthyr I have discovered wonders I never expected to see, which obviously would mean my little deckhands have never dreamed of such things to even not be expecting to see them! So naturally I've collected these wonders and have brought them back for you to now see, so you can expect more in the future. What else would you be expecting from the good captain!

I've shared a bit of moving steampunk pictures with you, but now it's time to broaden our horizons and see what kinds of musical instruments have been created out there in the æthyr that fulfill our steampunk visions. Standing head and shoulders above the other musical instrument makers I had the lovely pleasure of meeting is one Lirio Salvador, a native of the Philippines. Now as unbelievable as these instruments are, they are in fact real and work!

Behold, the Sandata ng lolo ni tatay ~


Sandata ng lolo ni tatay translates into "the weapon of my grandfather's father" from what I'm told by my interpreters, whose abilities I question after the notorious Niponese White Glove incident, but I digress... this instrument is played like a cello but sounds nothing like one. The resonators are made from metal mixing bowls and is amplified by a magnetic pickup.

Next, please direct your eyes to Planet Stainless ~


Planet Stainless is made of mostly metal kitchenware, pots, bowls and the like. It is an improvised amplifier that creates natural vibrating effects when used. It can also cook a 2.5 lbs. lobster in 3 minutes. Not really, but you believed it at first didn't you?

Out last musical wonder, the Sandat 3RB ~


The Sandat 3RB uses regular guitar strings which stretch door springs that when played, produce industrial oriental drone sound effects. It is a "free playing" instrument which allegedly means anyone can play it, but I still wouldn't trust some of you with the safety of my ears should you try it. Just fair warning.

That's all for now, so get back to work and whistle me a jaunty tune while you do!

2 comments:

Valonia said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joannah

http://linuxmemory.net

Renquist Von Reik said...

Welcome and thank you for posting! I'm glad you enjoy reading some of my less-than-daring adventures through the æthyr, I hope I can continue to entertain and one day, maybe you'll know what to say about it hehe.

Cheers