Saturday, February 28, 2009

Steampunk MMO?

So I'm crawling the web looking for some cool steampunk themed wallpapers to share when I stumble across this gem


Neo Steam - Steampunk MMO wallpaper

Now as far as Steampunk wallpapers go, I know it's far from the best thing out there, but a deeper investigation into "Neo Steam" reveals this:

Neo Steam is a MMORPG developed by Hanbitsoft together with Studio Mars. Neo steam is a full 3D game with lush graphics that will surely enhance your gaming experience. Neo Steam boasts some unique story line for all the fantasy MMORPG gamer out there. With its unique steam punk theme, gaming would never be the same.


Wait a sec...did you say MMORPG with a unique steam punk theme?!?

As a die-hard MMORPG geek for nearly a decade I have to admit that this looks pretty cool! The only thing tempering my enthusiasm is the fact that this game is undoubtedly a Korean import adapted for the NA market. There's nothing wrong with that except that culturally they look for something a little different there versus here. I'd expect developing your character will be tediously slow, and I do mean tedious especially if you've played World of Warcraft (and who hasn't :p) and seen how fast your character can level and grow stronger there.

Oh, despite the probable level curve like Mount Everest, I should mention it's Play-For-Free. Yes, that's right! Not only is it the only steampunk MMO out there but it's FREE! Kick ass.

Here's another promo image to tease you with -
Neo Steam - Steampunk MMO promotional poster

From what I can tell the game has already launched in the Asian market but it's only just entering it's Beta period here in NA. You can register for beta access on the main site linked below, but that's about all I could find in regards to release dates. I'll be sure to update if I learn more.

I wish them massive gigantic success if only to show other developers out there that there is an appeal in the Steampunk genre and theme so they make more games with that setting.

Anyway, here's the link to the official site so go take a look!
Neo-Steam

No comments: